Saturday, April 2, 2011

The Naked Truth


I love skin! It’s amazing! Think about it…. what else is so versatile, so reliable, so fabulous? And it’s with us forever. It’s like a best friend or sig other that puts up with all your abuse! You cut it, and unless it’s a terrible, horribly deep cut, it heals on its own. And even if it’s horribly deep, we sew it back together and then it heals. Sure, it may scar, stretch a little, get some wrinkles or get discolored with some spots on it, but it still works just fine! I mean, give it a break! It’s got a tough job of holding your crap together!

Skin is our largest organ. Bet you didn’t know that, huh? It has so many jobs and it’s working all the time. For starters, it holds everything on the inside in. It’s like the frame to a car. It keeps most infections out. It looks good too, and comes in all colors J It’s soft, yet durable. Firm, yet stretchy. It’s super sensitive. A subtle stroke of a finger can send chills throughout the entire body.  How fun is that?! It protects itself. When exposed to sun, it darkens to avoid sunburn. And just think, every 35 days you get a brand new epidermis, the outer layer. The body is constantly replacing itself. How cool is that?

Skin loses 30 to 40,000 dead skin cells every minute. Not every day, but every minute! Wowsa! Once a day, it sheds a layer. I can’t even imagine that. About 80% of the material we see floating in a sunbeam is actually skin flakes! I told you skin looks good! No wonder there are little microscopic bugs that eat skin cells. Something needs to clean up that mess of all those flakes! We aren’t the only ones eating flakes for breakfast.

I can just imagine. You’re sitting in a movie theatre with 50 other people for two hours shedding skin cells. By the end of the movie, if not for dust mites, a person wouldn’t be able to walk out of the movie without rummaging through some visible accumulated skin cells. “Oh, pardon me, I didn’t mean to fall into your lap. I slipped on some skin cells!” I’m sure the dust mites get together and discuss where to go out for dinner. “I’m tired of staying home and eating at the mattress. Same old flakes. I want something different. Hey, want to go out to the theatre? It’s a best seller tonight and I’m sure there will be LOTS of skin cells there of all types. It’s a buffet!”

Speaking of dust mites, did you know that people with allergies to them, are not actually allergic to them? Nope. It’s their feces we are allergic to! Cool, huh? NOT! I’m one of those people with allergies. Why can’t they find and use a toilet like the rest of us? Why do they have to just poop anywhere and everywhere, leaving it around for people like us to breathe? Oh sure, they will clean up our mess, but they leave a new mess of their own. That’ll teach ya to leave your skin cells lying around, huh?

The human body fascinates me. It really is a miracle in action and most people take it for granted. I know I do, most of the time. But today, let’s appreciate the skin and all the hard work it does for us! So get naked! Celebrate the skin! Show it off. It IS gorgeous, ya know? The nerve of me, you say? Next week, we will talk about nerves, so tune in next week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment