Monday, April 11, 2011

Chuck, I Would Like to Buy a Word

Power and Control. There are many forms of power and ways to try and control others. Some groups, like our government, do it with laws, rules, and regulations. Some use money as the ultimate form of control. He who has the most is the winner, right? Other people use security, threatening to take it away as in co-dependency as a way to power over others. Abuse falls into this category. Yes, there are many ways to vie for power. I say that words hold power. They are the ultimate form.
I love words. I always have. But, it’s a bittersweet love. Sometimes they are nice to me and sometimes not so much. I love complicated words I can barely pronounce. I love words that I have to look up in the dictionary to discover their meaning. I love big words I can barely spell. I love acronyms. I love sayings and lingo. Quotes. Jibberish. Babblings.
Oh words, sometimes you escape me when I’m seeking that specific one. You remain aloof, taunting me to find you. You do love your game of hide and go seek, don’t you? Find me, find me! Wherefore art thou, oh special word? And what is a word? Is a word still not a word if it were called something else? Would it still not hold the same meaning and power? Would it still not conjure up the smells, the sounds, the feelings, the memories and the moments in time? Ahhh, yes, beloved words. You hold a special place in my heart.
Words accumulate in my head. They congregate. They hold meetings. They run rampant like kids at a Chuck E Cheese birthday party! Before you know it, in a matter of seconds, my head is full of words. It’s at maximum occupancy. At this point, there is a line at the door. There is no more room inside for any more. Maximum Occupancy has been reached. The verbs are flying around and nouns are being slung by the dozens. The pronouns are serving up adjectives as fast as they are created. Hang around long enough and you will hear it… “I’ll buy a round of vowels for the house!” Oh, now it’s on! The fun has began! Just try and leave. Sure, I know, you just came by for one. At this point, it’s one in, one out and there is a cover charge at the door. There is a price to pay, allright! Being inside my head isn’t cheap.
The words, they come on their own accord. Uninvited, they just show up. Unannounced. Frequently. Suddenly. No warning. Always in groups. Never alone. Sure, sometimes it starts with one, but then it quickly turns into the masses. What is this, Summer Jam? A free-for-all? Open mic night? Sometimes they are unwelcome. Sometimes I wish they would shut the heck up and leave me to my peace. But no… chatter, chatter, chatter. On and on they go philosophizing about this and that. Sometimes making sense, often not. Really? Does anyone care what they have to say? Is it really that important? Oh, let’s make room in my head for the almighty Words! Hmmmphfff.
They decide when to adjourn and when to depart. Yes, there are a million ways in, but only one way out. Well, ok, there is a second exit, but they prefer the main exit. So, if they must, they will settle for the rear exit door, which is out of my fingertips, one letter at a time. That’s the long way out and they must wait in line. It’s a slow process and often some of them are called back in… something was forgotten and they must return in order to complete it.
Most words refuse to depart until they can exit out of my mouth with their entourage, and only when there is an audience waiting for them. Yes, they do love the paparazzi. There is nothing like all the flashes of lights. Pop! Pop! They want to see themselves in the paper the next day. The media is their addiction. All eyes on them. Their names on the lips of all those who saw them. Each one gaining power through repetition, word of mouth, gossip. Attention, good or bad, it’s all good to them! Attention is attention!
So, back to the Power topic. Sorry about the stray. The words took over, once again and I had to make them exit so there is room for the words I want to talk about… so we can get back to the original topic. My weapon of choice is words. Words are the ultimate weapon of mass destruction or construction, depending on which ones you choose. Words are underestimated. Think about it. Ponder on it. Words are always with us. They are free, but they aren’t cheap. They can cost you a lot. A relationship. A life. A job. Your freedom.
Sometimes, we think we own words. That we really have the power. You would think we were the ones who came up with the English Language! We think we hand picked our words and put them together in a sentence and we are the first one to do it that specific way. HaHaHa! If you own your own words, then just try and make them go away! They own us! Just try and think nothing. Nothing. Nothing at all. You just said to yourself, “think nothing.” That’s something. Actually, that’s nothing. Nothing is a word.
Oh, sure, you who meditate, you actually tell yourself you CAN think of nothing. You ARE in control, right? After all, you thought of nothing and you did this for 5 minutes and you’re proud of that? LOL. 5 minutes out of 24 hours or 1440 minutes in a day. Sure, the words say, go ahead and take your little 5 minutes if that will make you feel better about yourself! The words are mocking you. They know who is in control. So do you. They are staring at you and you can see them floating around in your head. Sure, you are pretending to ignore them, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t there. They own you and you both know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment