Monday, March 14, 2011

McScrewed AGAIN!


So… every time I got through fast food drive through, I get screwed. They always forget SOMETHING… sometimes it’s just a straw or a fork. Sometimes it’s an entire item. Sometimes it’s someone else’s order. And, let’s be clear, I’m the one getting screwed. I never get an extra item or a super-size order of fries when I ordered a small. Nope. It’s always something missing.

And, fast food? Not! As I was waiting, I had time to read the sign that said, “we are now charging for extra sauce.” Seriously?! Every time they forget an item of mine, that should save them enough money for about 15 or 20 little sauces. Take that times 10 cars and they should be paying me to take an extra sauce. The little yogurt parfaits I love have shrunk in size not once, but twice since they came out. Same “size”, same “price”, less volume.

Is this someone’s way of telling me I’m not ever supposed to eat fast food? Sometimes ya just gotta! Sometimes it’s fun to be bad! Sometimes you are traveling and Panera doesn’t have a drive through, so healthy eating has to go by the wayside. And, sometimes, you have a buck fifty change in your ashtray in the car and so the $1 menu from Wendy’s sounds pretty good for dinner! (Wendy’s is my fav fast food. I have to give them credit).

It happens to me on such a regular basis now that I stop and check my order. It doesn’t matter if the drive through line is full of cars. I’m checking.  Of all the fast food restaurants, McDonalds is the worst. Really? Over one kazillion served? Served what? The wrong order, that’s what. I definitely got “SERVED”. As I drive away, the cashier is pointing at me and laughing… “she got SERVED, man!” Maybe that’s where that term came from! Oh, but Mickey D’s must be doing something right since there is one on every corner, right? Oh they do something right, alright. They market. They pay big dogs for R&D. They know EXACTLY where to put their restaurants to get the most exposure. They brand. You know exactly what’s on the menu already.  Pull off any interstate exit, and there they are!

So, I’m wondering… when one person has the job of cooking fries, and another runs the cash register, and yet still another runs the drive up… each person has one specific job. They don’t have to multi-task. They don’t have to think. This isn’t “Have it Your Way!” Nope. It’s cookie cutter repetition day after day, item after item. I’m sure there is one person’s job to looks at the receipt and put the items in the bag. Actually, it’s a McMonitor, not a receipt. It’s big! It’s written in English. They speak and read English right? They are familiar with the menu. Heck, I know the McMenu inside and out and I don’t even like Filet of McFish or the annual McRib. So… how is it so hard to McMess it up? I’m McMad!

I can’t be the only one who is getting screwed.  “Oh, look! It’s Carol Ann in her Jeep Cherokee! Time to mess up the order!” Well, at least today when they forgot my Angus Snack Wrap, I actually did get an extra chocolate chip cookie to make up for it. They were stuck together so I guess that’s why. McMaybe they couldn’t count to three? They thought, oh heck that looks about right! The cookies were warm and gooey fresh from the oven, so I forgive them today. I’d rather have my cookies. They taste like mom’s, so I’m happy.

As I drive off, I’m thinking… what is so special about Angus? Isn’t that prejudiced? What about the other cows? Aren’t they special too? Why does Angus get all the glory? Poor other little cows with no special name. But hey, they have something on the Angus. They are still alive. So, go ahead, eat your Angus burgers!

And, since when did Angus beef become just a “snack”. If that’s a snack, then what the hell is for dinner? Potato chips? I’m confused! I thought chips were a snack. Now we are calling chicken and beef wraps a snack? Arggggh! I need to eat at home more often….

5 comments:

  1. When we lived in Wichita, my husband worked 3rd shift on the weekends. On Friday nights he would stop at Spangles for a double cheeseburger, no pickle and no onions. They would read his order back, show it on the screen, the whole deal. Then, he'd get to work and there would be the lovely pickles and onions they quoted back to him NOT being on there. One night he got so mad he wrote up a 3 page note to management, left the pickles and onions in his car all night in the bag and in the AM he took the nasty smelling bag, and letter (with full name and telephone) and dropped it through the Spangles Headquarters' drop box. They never did contact him... hmmm. We picketed Spangles for the remainder of our time in Wichita.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very funny... thanks for the giggle with my morning coffee :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have noticed that, during the school year, if you go during the DAY, on a weekday when the kiddies are in school, the ADULTS working there will get your order right. Any night of the week, weekend, or all summer long, however, and you're SERVED by little teenagers who could really care less and are there to talk with other teenagers about whatever party is going on that night, or whatever girl is hot, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know what I would say. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erin, I have a french fry addiction I'm trying to break! Also, I do love their wild berry smoothies! I kind of think those are good for me! Maybe?

    ReplyDelete